Project Title & Location
Sipalay City Comprehensive Land Use Plan, Master Development Plan & Zoning Ordinance
City of Sipalay, Negros Occidental
PROS A&E Partners
Ragrario & Associetes (Project Leader)
Edgar Dona, Engineer
- Master Planning
- Comprehensive Land Use Plan
- Zoning Ordinance
- Geographic Information System
Sipalay City is located at the southeast crook of Negros Island, with the Sulu Sea wafting its western shores. As an autonomous constituent City, its former economic base relied on mining. This did not proper beginning late 1990's when the industry lost its strength in the country. Today the city looks forward to an economic revival by way of a strong eco-tourism program.
Considering that the shoreline of Sipalay is exposed to flooding during the wet season, there is need to rationalize the use of good lands in order to make urban functions more efficient and economical.
The barangays of Sipalay are now well-established each has its proper share of vital community facilities. These are well- disposed and are expected to have further improvement as the population increase and demand for quality becomes a common call. A "one theme or feature" for each barangay is an effective measure that the barangays are adapting.
The city has now the motivation to relocate the civic and
government facilities to higher non flood-liable grounds. As a conjunctive
strategy, the selection of sites for vital urban activities must be a
priority for development. Five sites have been cited for development:
1. Canturay with a prospective area of 7 hectares for its core and expansion area of 67 hectares.
2. North Gil Montilla has a prospective area of 17 hectares for its core and an expansion area of 98 hectares for the new civic center.
3. South Gil Montilla has a prospective area of 17 hectares for its core. It is situated east of Site Gil Montilla. North with an expansion area of 82 hectares. The site is reserved for extension of the civic center and for a sports complex.
4. The old Poblacion has a prospective area of 88 hectares for its core and an expansion site of 105 hectares. The site shall have an urban design that shall make water as part of the urban development. In this area, the redevelopment shall concentrate on cultural and tourism functions.
5. The Campomanes site has a development core of 17 hectares and an expansion area of 267 hectares. The site is slated for high-end tourism development.